Head of Development, Preclinical Drug Discovery
Adapsyn Bioscience applies proprietary algorithms and artificial intelligence to genomic and metabolomic data from microbes in order to find novel natural product drug candidates. The company seeks an experienced pharmaceutical scientist with a track record of leading and contributing to successful drug discovery programs resulting in IND filings. As a key member of Adapsyn’s leadership team, the successful candidate will lead internal and external cross functional teams to create a pipeline of potential commercial drug products. A key deliverable in the next 18 months will be the development and presentation of data packages validating Adapsyn’s unique approach to drug discovery for new clients and potential investors.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and creative scientist with recent industry experience in medicinal chemistry, and/or chemical biology with research in the area of drug discovery. The successful candidate should have an outstanding track record having contributed to multiple drug discovery and development programs that have progressed to IND.
- She/he will lead medicinal and synthetic chemistry as well as HTS, natural product discovery chemistry and biology capabilities, as part of our internal drug discovery / innovation programs.
- He/she should have an entrepreneurial mindset and, working with management and peers, be able to lead teams (both internally and external) to advance the company’s drug development pipeline.
- The successful candidate will have strong mentoring skills and a proven track record of developing staff and teams to take on increasingly challenging programs with high impact potential for commercial success.
- The successful candidate will have experience developing preclinical models to ensure robust decision making on developability of drug molecules in various therapeutic areas of interest including immunology, infectious disease, and neuroscience, and designing proof of concept studies and full development for various therapeutic area programs.
- The successful candidate will have contributed to pre-IND/IND meetings with FDA and other relevant health authorities.
- The person will be motivated to contribute intellectually in a dynamic team environment collaborating with peers leading immunology, infectious disease, neuroscience, as well as programs in discovery technologies and translational development.
- The candidate will be expected to attend and present at scientific and investigator meetings as needed.
- Importantly he/she will be an advocate for streamlining the drug discovery process, including automating in-house chemistry and biology.
- Importantly, a key thrust will be to work with external parties to build necessary data-packages to provide evidence-based decision making on value propositions for the company.
- Experience in drug development is a must with parallel interests in AI driven drug discovery, flow chemistry, chemistry automation, and high-throughput chemistry/testing is required.
- He/she should be comfortable with working in to report on team progress and develop reporting to company leadership and executive and also serve as part of the company leadership.
- The successful candidate will interact with all scientists within the company and be responsible to create research efforts of unique value; to foster interactions with academic and industrial partners.
The ideal candidate should possess excellent managerial skills, work well in multi-disciplinary groups, frequent reporting to company stakeholders, be able to drive exploratory research projects forward while focusing on drug discovery, balance participation in multiple projects,
ensure research timelines are met and serve as a mentor for discovery teams. The level of the position will be commensurate with experience and track-record.
- PhD. in Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Biology, or a related field;
- 10-15 of industrial pharmaceutical development experience; previous employment in both large and small companies would be an asset;
- Must have experience in a drug development setting and have led or contributed to IND filings for small molecules;
- Must have a broad knowledge of synthetic chemistry, biochemistry and cell biology; experience in drug discovery and development;
- Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency required;
- Must have a history of scientific achievement and scientific innovation demonstrated by publications and patents;
- Demonstrated people leadership and program management skills; experience growing and developing teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; successful interacting with all levels of employees, as well as those outside the organization
- Proven success working in interdisciplinary team-based groups
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org